Saturday, August 2, 2008

Wonders of blogging

When I started writing for my blog, every news entry that comes my way makes me think of a new topic to write about. My mind starts to run mischievously whenever I come across an extraordinary happening in my daily life. To write about something that may seem ordinary to others can be made astounding and inspiring in articles that bloggers choose to talk about.

Like these people whom the government often take for granted.

The jeepney was half-full. When, a man who was about to board stopped. As if trying to tell people to make way for him, move a little so he could avail of the seat just at the entrance. Nobody responded until after he said, “I’m disabled.” I was then seated at the other side of the jeepney. Sensible enough who wouldn’t have noticed that he was afterall disabled. He actually had a hard time boarding the jeep. I assume he suffered from mild stroke as he had to literally carry half of his body into the jeepney. Then this other man beside me started to comment, “Ano ba yan!.” And out of extreme disgust, I snapped, “Disabled po kasi sya.” How some people could they be so insensitive to even feel that one disabled man who is about to board a jeepney made me think again of a case wherein would-be college students were denied entry to this most populated state university in the country. Laws that would ensure the rights of the disabled should be enacted. And the existing laws that intend to protect them should be strongly enforced.

No comments: